Friday, June 24, 2011

Freddie Highmore



I just finished watching August Rush which, as I highly suspected, I adored. If you have not seen it you are missing out on an splendid display of child acting. Freddie Highmore captures every emotion and conveys it to the viewer effortlessly and this is what made the movie come alive.

I have been fascinated with this kid ever since Finding Neverland, which was my first exposure to him. This was a brilliant film in and of itself and I do not feel that Freddie was integral to the movie as he was in August Rush, but he was still brilliant.

I typically worship Tim Burton, though there are more than a few of his projects that don't appeal to me. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of these and I feel that Freddie had the misfortune of being caught up in one of Burton's too-twisted projects. I saw the movie and thought nothing spectacular of it. Even Freddie's performance, though charming, was not unique and I think any young British boy could have made the same impression.

Freddie has had a run in with voice acting lately and is known for his role in the Spiderwick Chronicles movie but now that he is of age I expect and anticipate more adult roles. He is capable of greatness, August Rush has handily proven that. The question is whether decent directors will harness this potential in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment